The involvelment of the people of Skiathos with navigation began far in the past, developed undisturbed during the Turkish occupation and has been going on unstoppingly until today. In the beginning of the 18th century, the people of Skiathos were released from the Turkish restrictions and started building their own ships in the bay of Kehria, doing business and transporting goods to nearby places.
After 1774 they started travelling to Egypt and to the Black Sea.
In the 18th century very good shipyards existed with competent craftsmen, based in Ai-Giorgis near the lake. In 1804, according to the “Statistics” by Adamantios Korais, Skiathos had 12 ships with 144 sailors and 48 cannons.
Ever since Stathas and Nikotsaras were in action, the fleet of Skiathos was well-equipped and these ships were used throughout the Greek Revolution in Skiathos flourished from 1870 to 1895.
Search : municipality of Skiathos web site skiathos.gr